Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gettin’ Crabby With It

After a long flight from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Split, Croatia to Dusseldorf, Germany to Cairo, Egypt, I have finally made it to Tanzania!! Baran lives in the nice area of Dar es Salaam called Oyster Bay. The neighborhood is nice but it feels like a safari drive to his apartment as the roads are unpaved and rocky. The potholes are so large, small cars are swallowed completely.

My first week was pretty typical. Monday Baran took off and we went to Bongoyo Island. This small island was very quiet with a few thatch umbrellas and one small “restaurant”, which served the best crab we have ever had. The crab was so juicy and fresh, with tons of meat I thought I had died and gone to heaven. If you grew up in the Lee family, you know how to eat crab. :)

Crab + Chips + Serengeti Premium Beer = A Good Time


The great thing about this island was there was about 5 people total on the island so it felt almost deserted. The bad thing about a deserted island is there are no normal bathrooms besides a single outhouse deep in the jungle. As I set off to find the bathroom, I heard a noise up in the trees. I figured it was a bird and kept walking down the small dirt path. Suddenly dropping from the sky, a giant 20 lb mouse with huge ears landed in front of me. With wide eyes, we stared at each other shocked for what felt like an eternity and then I tried to scream but nothing but a squeak came out, no pun intended. I ran out of the woods faster than that guy Bolt from Jamaica! After that, I never went to the bathroom alone. Lesson learned: Always make Baran go first when walking through the woods.
Bongoyo Island

No comments:

Post a Comment